I was asked to advise a budding web developer on what technologies to get into for 2008. Here’s the list I gave her. Would you agree?
1. Maps API’s – there is probably enough work around just integrating mapping into people’s web sites for them. (Google, Yahoo and 192.com all have APIs)
2. Drupal – lots of people need intranets and drupal works really well for this – most of the work is configuration rather than hard programming
3. Silverlight / ASP.net – this is the top of the range one – Microsoft release Surface next year, likely to drive demand for apps in this technology.
4. Facebook Platform – it feels like flavour of the month I know but it’s so wonderful it’s likely to be around for a while.
5. Netvibes UWA – Netvibes have a universal widget architecture that actually works on lots of different platforms – saves having to write widgets several times (see illustration)
Have your say, why not comment to this note on your top five web 2 technologies to watch in 2008.