It’s a strange statement but social media is being used in revolutions across the Middle East and not just to report on what is happening. It’s also part of the cause.
Let’s look at the facts!
- Mass media, in this case radio, was used effectively in Nazi germany as a propaganda tool. It is a weapon.
- Software can be a weapon: PGP (an encryption standard) that gave citizens miltary class secure person to person communication ability – was outlawed for export from the USA (see t-shirt above)
- The Internet itself is military by original design.
- Social media gives citizens the power of mass media – to be able to publish content with unlimited distribution.
- Governments across the Middle East are closing down access to social media.
- So clearly governments see social media as a weapon.
Q.E.D…. Social Media is a Weapon